[Dshield] Recommendation for home router

David Cary Hart DShield at TQMcube.com
Mon Feb 13 20:17:44 GMT 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:53:06 -0500
"Johannes B. Ullrich" <jullrich at sans.org> opined:

> Home routers typically do not allow for "real secure" remote
> administration. Some use https, but the certificate is 'fixed' (=same
> for all routers from the particular maker).
>
> If you are willing to experiment a bit, the cheapest option is one of
> the Linksys routers which run on linux. In these cases you can install
> an alternate firmware and use ssh for remote administration.

Another possibility is to turn a doorstop into a linux router. I'm
pretty sure that an old 486 will work. In fact, I think that I have
seen some Live CD's that do this.

--
Our DNSRBL -
           Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com