[Dshield] Recommendation for home router

fzracer@fzracer.com fzracer at fzracer.com
Tue Feb 14 09:31:48 GMT 2006

If I may add my $0.02AU worth...

Have tried many DLink models and Netgear appliance routers and was most
impressed by the Netgear MIMOg with its seven inbuilt antennae. Great
range and very fast packet inspection and forwarding.

If however you want more from the box that does your NAT then I whole
heartedly suggest a Clark box... http://www.clarkconnect.org

I have 3 of these and they all pull ip's from the Telstra network here in
AU and offer heaps of features.. Snort is included and IPS (basic) is also
included. If you use the squid proxy as I do I save about 12% of my
monthly usage by caching traffic, the firewall gui allows all the config
you would need for home and small office.

Take a look, if you want your own mail servers with free DNS resolution
and good support from a forum of users willing to help then grab an old
Pentium2 with 256Mb ram and as bigger HDD as you can spare (for ftp server
;) and install from CD. Even the Install is easier than loading PC-DOS
from floppy !!

Seriously great software and is very customisable with the inclusion of
PHP, MySQL, FTP, Mail, Squirrel Webmail, Squid Proxy, SSH server, great
logs browser and free patching from their servers. One of mine runs a
product called desknow and is very useful, oh and apt-get too !!!

I have run different versions of this appliance since 1.X days and it is
maturing very nicely. Next to NO linux knowledge needed unless you want to
mod it.

Go to the site download it and never look back. I did.

Cheers,
Chris Whyte
Senior Network Officer
Technical Assurance Group