[Dshield] Question on Skype

Kenton Smith listsks at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 17 20:25:00 GMT 2006

OK, teminology aside, I new I had read something
recently that had an excellent summary of the
implications of using Skype, including security. P2P
is an issue he lists in there.
"Like KaZaA, Skype is based on peer-to-peer
technology: instead transmitting all voice calls
through a central server, as Vonage does, Skype
clients seek out and find other Skype clients, then
build from these connections a network that can be
used to search for other users and send them
messages."
and
"Third, because Skype is mostly a peer-to-peer system,
the overall security can be affected by third parties
that are in the network (but that  are unknown to
those in a particular phone conversation)."
Entire paper is here:
http://www.tacticaltech.org/files/Skype_Security.pdf

It addresses a number of issues surrounding Skype
security.

Kenton