[Dshield] Fed Bill Would Restrict Web Server Logs

Mark markt442 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 00:01:29 GMT 2006

Perhaps Mr. Markey is concerned about the opposing
party getting access to his, ahem, "web surfing
habits" by collecting said logs and publishing them
during the next political election?

I'd really like to read this bill. It seems as a short
attempt to mirror some features of PCI - storage. Note
that I didn't liken it to PCI, so park the flames. I
would rather that they state one should remove the
identifying information to a system not of public
access. Keep the logs if you must, but park them in an
area that can't be directly accessed via the next
zero-day web bug.

Of course it could just be that he's trying to hide
his or a contributor's web surfing habits. If so, tell
Mr. Markey about TOR or some of the other means of
anonymous access.

-mt