[Dshield] Recommendation for home router

Chris Buechler dshield at chrisbuechler.com
Mon Feb 20 05:59:18 GMT 2006

Mark wrote:
> It wouldn't be hard to test with two computers running
> iperf. If you don't have a linux system, I've seen
> some success running under cygwin.

Don't need to use cygwin.  There's a Windows binary of iperf available
from the iperf site.
http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

iperf is good for testing the maximum single connection throughput of a
device.  But what can be far more telling with routers and firewalls is
how well they scale when under the load of many simultaneous
connections.  Some that perform well on a single connection may perform
horribly when loaded with hundreds or thousands of simultaneous
connections (which is common with some applications, like BitTorrent is
a good example).

To translate that to a real world outcome, a given router or firewall
may be able to handle, say, 8 Mbps with an HTTP download, but maybe only
2 Mbps with BitTorrent.  (theoretical numbers for illustrative purposes
only)

Regards,
-Chris