[Dshield] Recommendation for home router

Kevin Ottalini ottalini at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 20 23:25:58 GMT 2006

For UDP testing, one of the most strenuous applications that gives immediate
feedback is Valve's "Steam" game distribution tool and server browser (Win32
client only).

You can download and install the Steam client for free:
http://steampowered.com/?area=getsteamnow

Install it and create an account (free), then go to the server browser and
turn the filters to "all" and do a full refresh on all game types.

I have a bridged DSL connection via a Zyxel router that has minimal impact
on TCP/UDP.  When I connect direct the best I can see is 28,332 servers
listed.
This is not the total number of servers, in fact there are typically 100,000
servers (see here: http://steampowered.com/status/status.html) but that
number includes LAN as well as Internet servers so some % will not accept a
direct query  (server queries are typically on UDP port 27015 but can vary).

When I connect using a Linksys BEFSR41V2 using one specific firmware version
(1.45.7) I only see 20,821 servers, but any other firmware version including
the latest will give significantly less.  I've tested netgear, brightport,
belkin and dlink as well as worked with players that use many different
types and they all give various (typically much poorer) results.   The
Brightport would list 300 servers and reboot.

One of the controlling factors is the rate at which Steam sends out queries,
many routers have problems with UDP packets due to unusually long timeouts
or very slow packet inspection.  You can slow the Steam connection by
changing the internet connection speed in the settings menu (requires
restarting Steam to take effect).

Turning off router firewalls or putting them in DMZ can speed them up but
(of course) with a significant security impact.

KevinO