[Dshield] Exchange Open Relay

Arthur Neville ajnevman at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 19:53:22 GMT 2006

Greetings
  Q:
  I posted before about how my domain is being whacked by Spam and how some users are contsantly getting hammered
  I checked our public facing email server to see if its an Open Relay....
  I was able to telnet into 25 and send mail from the outside hmmmmm
  We use an intranet and within that intranet there is windows integrated authenticated, we are using Outlook Web Access and Outlook Mobile Access for our smartphones

  I heard one of the WinAdmins speak about needing SMTP to communicate between the servers and that there are no open relay's.... duhhhh guess what
  I went to one of the sites that checks the site to see if it is on any DNSBNL's and voila we are on about 50 dnsbl's on the net.....
  Does that mean we have someone using our server as an open relay ???
  Or we have someone who has some bots on his box or boxes....

  In any event....thats the scoopla, I am well versed in the art of reading so if you have some links or info that would be helpful that would be kewl
  thanks
  art