[Dshield] WMF - SETABORTPROC alarms

Sean Smith ssmith at kwqc.com
Mon Jan 2 20:57:23 GMT 2006

I'm not sure it is entirely fair to compare this exploit to recent ones.
While it lacks replication, disarming it as a large network-disabling
giant as we are getting used to, it targets and exploits novice
users.... Those who run as at administrator level without knowing the
damage and/or incontinence they could case themselves, smaller
businesses who run only one or two computers and depend on them for
their entire operation, and ALL users (home and office) who just are
plain ignorant to the dangers of such things no matter how many times
you explain it to them.

ISC has already reported the hijacking of a "trusted" webpage frame
redirecting users to infection. McAffee has reported that 6% of it's
"users" are infected. 6% is a very large number. While unlikely in my
environment, if 6% of my users were infected, I'd have my hands full for
the rest of the week to say the least.

I feel that the patch (and subsequent testing) was completely justified.
Vendors no longer (have they ever?) move at the speed of the net. Their
jobs are reactionary. The community must pull together to help itself.
Disabling, removing, and/or unregistering the suspect dll was examined
as a possible fix. Blocking WMF images was examined as a possible fix.
Current anti-virus &anti-spyware  definitions were examined as possible
fixes and all were found to be partial. Partial isn't good enough.
Trusting my users is FAR from good enough.

With the community having pulled together, I could have spent less time
launching the temporary patch as opposed to rescuing 6% of my users from
themselves. As they say, time is money....

Sean Smith