[Dshield] WMF - SETABORTPROC alarms

Fielder, Wayne (CPE) Wayne.Fielder at ky.gov
Tue Jan 3 18:49:40 GMT 2006

A couple things really jumped out at me in Mr. Scherr's note, the idea that
"safe computing" might mitigate this and the idea that propogation isn't a
serious issue with this thing.

First, on Safe Computing Mr. Truitt hits the packet on the header, not
everyone has or does practice perfect standards all the time.  I would wager
that everyone one of us has a machine or two that we would LOVE to tighten
up but because of policy, business case, or personalities we simply can't
and that machine is watched like a hawk.  It may be that machine or one of
our Road Warriors that brings this "visitor" into our networks.

The idea of following "Best Practices" is the ideal and one worth pursuing.
Unfortunately most of us can't reach that golden ring all the time.

Second, the propogation of this thing could explode at any minute.  As with
coding anything, it's an exercise in lego building.  We take a piece of this
and a piece of that to make what we want.  Vx coders are no different and I
can almost hear the keystrokes as I type this.  What we have seen up till
now is the same PoC with different shell code.  Metasploit is a wonderful
tool and soon someone will come up with the shell to transport this thing.

This vulnerability is just screaming for a reliable transport agent.  I'm
betting on one of the IM applications as the primary target with email
attachments(the bane of everyone's existence) a close second.

Wayne Fielder GSECG, GCIHG

Join the Plain Text Email Campaign!