[Dshield] Thanks to Dshield and ISC

Roger A. Grimes roger at banneretcs.com
Thu Jan 5 15:06:10 GMT 2006

I specifically thank Dshield for their fast response on the WMF issue in
my next InfoWorld column. I also wonder why none of the official
reporting orgs (i.e. Cert, DHS, etc.) can do early warning as well?
Wouldn't it be nice if we could have submitted confirmed new malware to
a central site, get the world notified in a few hours, and have the code
distributed to all the registered and trusted security companies and
groups immediately?  Instead, most of the other official sources besides
Dshield took over 24 hours to send out warning notices. This doesn't
work in the days of the 8-minute worm.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, InfoWorld, Security Columnist
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger_grimes at infoworld.com or roger at banneretcs.com
*Author of Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=281