[Dshield] DShield's Public Goals

David Cary Hart DShield at TQMcube.com
Thu Jan 5 15:54:53 GMT 2006

Years ago, Johannes advocated ISP port blocking as a way to significantly
reduce the spread of Internet viruses. He was right then; He is MORE right now.

Hypothetically, much - if not most - of the malicious content that spreads
around is designed to install SMTP on the host in order to relay spam and
replication attachments. Judging from some of the patterns that I see, it seems
that individuals are building networks of hundreds of machines that they
control through IRC.

FWIW, it just seems to me that, at every opportunity, DShield and ISC should be
spreading the gospel of port blocking.

--
Our DNSRBL -
           Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.php