[Dshield] Are you using spf records?

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Thu Jan 5 18:18:52 GMT 2006

** Reply to message from Martin Forest <martin at forest.gen.nz> on Thu, 05 Jan
2006 19:40:57 +1300

> I have done some minor research with SPF records. It is nice to see that
> several of the big domains such as hotmail, msn, aol etc have started to
> use SPF records.

A lot of good that will do.  I report spam to hotmail and almost all replies
say it did not originate with us.  Well it originated with one of their users
and was sent through one of hotmail's servers.  With an attitude like that we
will never get rid of spam.

> Especially as they are often used in forged emails. With
> them posting spf, it is now possible to block the spam  bots that use
> their "from addresses".

Any program that uses the FROM address to filter spam (or anything for that
matter) should be deleted from your system.  It does not work, it can never
work, so why use it?