[Dshield] DShield's Public Goals

David Cary Hart DShield at TQMcube.com
Thu Jan 5 19:11:36 GMT 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 18:24:33 +0000 GMT
"Ed Truitt" <ed.truitt at etee2k.net> opined:
> Route through an open proxy sitting on a network that doesn't block (blocking
> ports is truly effective only if EVERYONE does it.)

I know that you know what you are talking about. I'm not arguing with you; I'm
just trying to understand.

If spammers are using open proxies then they don't need a network of zombies to
begin with. While I agree that open proxies are a problem, they have been
RELATIVELY few in number and easy to identify. OTOH if, say, Comcast, did the 25
block, that would wipe out thousands of exploited machines that are trying to
send spam. Furthermore, it would wipe out a crop of proxies that are in
Comcast's space. There would be few new infections since there is no point in
exploiting machines that cannot send email.

If enough major carriers followed suit. . .
--
Our DNSRBL -
           Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.php