[Dshield] Are you using spf records?

Stasiniewicz, Adam stasinia at msoe.edu
Thu Jan 5 19:57:54 GMT 2006

FUD ALARM!!

Do you even have the slightest idea of how SPF works?  Actually read
about it before saying something: http://www.openspf.org/howworks.html.
I am not going to defend the technology; I just want to make ensure that
people don't get the wrong idea for a couple of open ended, unsupported
comments.

1. SPF has nothing to do with reporting spam.  It does not send any
reports to anyone, nor does it rely on the need for an ISP to
"investigate" any claims.
2. A lot of spam uses forged headers, so unless you carefully check the
header, you can't be sure that it came from a real hotmail server.
3. SPF does one think, it stops email from originating from a source
other than that authentic outgoing email server for a domain.  It knows
which server are authentic outgoing email servers by using a DNS query
for the specific SPF record (encapsulated in a TXT record).

Now SPF is not without flaws.

1. If a domain does not publish SPF records, email from that domain can
be forged.
2. If a domain uses a different "all" operator other than "-all" many
filters will not do any filtering on the email.
3. There is nothing stopping a spammer from sending email from say
"someone at abay.com" (note the first letter of domain).
4. Many organizations don't use SPF, so it will be ineffective for many
emails.  But it can always be used with great success internally.
5. If a malicious user can gain relay to a server which SPF thinks is
legit, then SPF won't help.
6. If a malicious user has his own domain, he can add SPF records for
his spamming server, or simply not use SPF at all.
7. SPF is not an end all solution for fighting spam, it is just another
method that can be used as part of an overall strategy in fighting spam.

Please actually research what you are talking about before saying
something.

Regards,
Adam Stasiniewicz
Computer and Communication Services Department
Milwaukee School of Engineering
MSCE: Messaging & Security 2003