[Dshield] DShield's Public Goals

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Thu Jan 5 21:36:28 GMT 2006

** Reply to message from josh at theoubliette.net on Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:40:29
-0800 (PST)

> Not to put too fine a point on it, but what if I, as a security
> professional, know how to run a mail server more securely than my ISP
> (less spam, less viruses, RFC-compliant)?  I would like to be able to do
> so and not be limited by the fact that they either don't have the time or
> knowledge or simply choose not to implement a quality solution with
> security first over simplicity.

There is nothing stopping you from running your own email server and still have
your ISP block port 25.  I have tested a number of email servers on my home
machine and always have it send all of the output email to my ISPs email server
as a relay to get any email sent and not be blocked by either my ISP, blocking
port 25, or the destination email server because they are blocking DUL and/or
dynamic IPs.