[Dshield] WMF "wait for us"

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jan 6 06:33:17 GMT 2006

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:30:57 EST, superc said:
> 12/31/06 is the expiration date for XP Home support.
> That's annoying.  They still sell it imbedded in new laptops.  I am not even sure this
> is legal.  I seem to recall some obscure Dept of Commerce reg in the CFR requiring the
> vendors of large ticket items such as cars to maintain parts and provide services for a
> ten year period after the last one was sold.

Probably not.  When you buy a car, you don't click a EULA that absolves the
car company from everything, including usability for its intended purpose.

And it's unclear what "spare parts" means in relation to software... ;)

Also, having looked at the support pricing for some old legacy systems we're
stuck with, the fact that a company has to stock parts doesn't mean they have
to make the service *economical* - $700/month for two older then-DEC Alpha
boxes. Ouch. (And I don't want to talk about what our IBM 3090-300J was racking
up per month at the end - I know the 3084 got replaced with a 9672 and it produced
a cost savings in the first year.. ;)