[Dshield] WMF "wait for us"

stu secmail at patchsupplier.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 6 10:56:59 GMT 2006

[quote]
The Microsoft Support Lifecycle (MSL) policy is a worldwide policy.
However, Microsoft understands that local laws, market conditions, and
support requirements differ around the world and differ by industry
sector. Therefore, Microsoft offers custom support relationships that go
beyond the extended support phase. These custom support relationships
may include assisted support and hotfix support, and may extend beyond
10 years from the date a product becomes generally available.

17. What is the Security Update policy?

Microsoft has not changed its Security Update policy:

Business and Development software

Security updates will be available through the end of the extended
support phase (five years mainstream phase plus five years extended
support phase) at no additional cost for most products. Security updates
will be posted on the Windows Update Web site during the mainstream
support phase, and during the first two years of extended support. In
the final three years of the extended support period, Microsoft will
continue to post important and critical security updates on the
Microsoft Download Center Web site.

Consumer, Hardware, Multimedia, and Business Solutions products

Security updates will be available through the end of the of the
mainstream phase.

[/quote] http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

Is there a possibility of them extending it? The mainstream support for
XP Pro ends 2 years after the next version has been released
(http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223 ). There's no mention
of that for XP Home though
(http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3221 ).

The one thing that makes me laugh on the list though
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectwin) is that Media Centre 2005
has an availability date of 31/12/2001, great to know an 05 version was
available in 01 :)

Tablet PC Support will receive extended support anyhow, even though
according to http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3228 mainstream
support will end earlier than the 5 years from the general availability
date.