[Dshield] Surely Not?

Craig Webster craig at xeriom.net
Sat Jan 7 01:55:12 GMT 2006

On 6 Jan 2006, at 23:21, Chris Wright wrote:
> Regardless of how far fetched it seems, if it was in the UK, the
> webserver
> would probably be the same machine handling the telecoms, the
> voicemail,
> security system, time table analysis, email server, heating
> controls, food
> ordering system etc etc.

I'm from the UK and I'm sad to say I agree with you. When I was in
high school (not that long ago mind you) we only had one old sun
server for the entire school. It had a 30 minute UPS and 50 or so
gigabytes of store*. We had a single ISDN line which had to be shared
between about 200 sessions. The server controlled access to the
internet, filtered content, was the filestore, handled email,
everything - it seemed to be designed specifically to be one
catastrophic single point of failure for all the schools IT systems.

Not one of the staff knew how to use Solaris. Our "Network Admin"
spent all of his time checking the pupils browser histories. We
didn't get a chance to make a webpage that'd cause heavy load on the
server or anything like that; the damn thing would grind to a halt
about once a day, sometimes for hours at a time, and the staff would
run around like headless chickens...

That said, one pupil did manage to get a key logger on a few of the
systems. The staff found out about a month later (how they managed to
go that long I don't know -- all the pupils knew about it the day
after it had been installed) and didn't know what to do... they had
to ask him nicely to remove it.

> Not that our IT systems in schools are 20 years behind the rest of the
> world.
> We probably still have kids hacking 386's.... (You think I am kidding)

We had a mix of BBCs, Mac IIs and a few months before I left we got
in some US sourced iMacs (they screwed up ordering so we got the US
ones...)

Yours,
Craig

* Numbers made up because I can't remember them, but it was a pretty
poor machine to be so important in the network.
Craig Webster | t: +44 (0)131 516 8595 | e: craig at xeriom.net
Xeriom.NET    | f: +44 (0)709 287 1902 | w: http://xeriom.net