[Dshield] Admin rights on XP Home (was Re: WMF "wait for us")

Peter Stendahl-Juvonen peter.stendahl-juvonen at welho.com
Mon Jan 9 20:33:22 GMT 2006

On 9.1.2006 5:46 (UTC+2), John B. Holmblad wrote:

> For whatever reason, it seems that many
> Microsoft Windows application developers/suppliers have never learned
> how correctly  program the installation of their software on the os so
> that admin privileges are not required for the software to work.

John et al.

My experiences support your comment.

Unfortunately, it is not limited to application developers/suppliers
only. According to my experience, Microsoft itself is incapable of
keeping up with its most welcome Guidelines/Principles for Safe
Computing in W2K and WXP environments.

An attempt to install Microsoft Office XP Professional on Microsoft
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 platform fails for all limited
privileges user accounts. Sic!

To my knowledge, both SW s are still "supported" and to my knowledge
Microsoft claims they are compatible and should therefore peacefully
co-exist.

Unluckily, that is not the case.

Windows Installer will attempt to finish the installation for the
limited privileges user accounts over and over, every time the limited
privileges user attempts to launch ANY Microsoft Office XP Professional
application. Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel,
Microsoft Access, Microsoft PowerPoint and possibly Microsoft Publisher
will never install successfully. (After having experienced this most
unexpected and serious issue with all other Microsoft Office XP
Professional components, did no longer want to try whether the same
happens with Microsoft Publisher as well.)

The installation continues also when the limited privileges user tries
to use the Office Assistant and also when the user finally closes the
application.

To be clear, the installation never finishes (successfully), it is an
ongoing process and causes much waiting for the user.

My solution to the annoyance (to the least) was installing and starting
using Mozilla Thunderbird and OpenOffice.

OpenOffice installed fine and am experiencing no problems with limited
privileges user accounts.

The above issues are experienced at least with Microsoft Windows XP
Professional Service Pack 2 (plus including all other patches, i.e.
fully patched OS), and Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
(plus including all other patches, i.e. fully patched office
application). Both SW s have a nationalized Finnish language GUI. File
system is NTFS.

Have not yet taken the trouble of reporting the issues to Microsoft, but
will possibly do that when time permits. However, there is no rush since
am quite happy with the Mozilla Thunderbird and OpenOffice solution.

- - Pete

       "A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last.
         Both do the same thing; only at different times."
           Lord Acton (1834-1902); British historian