[Dshield] Admin rights on XP Home (was Re: WMF "wait for us")

Laurent Saplairoles lsaplai at megassistance.com
Tue Jan 10 19:56:43 GMT 2006

Pete,

On 9 Jan 2006 at 22:33, Peter Stendahl-Juvonen wrote:

> On 9.1.2006 5:46 (UTC+2), John B. Holmblad wrote:
> >
> > For whatever reason, it seems that many
> > Microsoft Windows application developers/suppliers have never
> > learned how correctly  program the installation of their software on
> > the os so that admin privileges are not required for the software to
> > work.
> >

> John et al.
>

> My experiences support your comment.
>
> Unfortunately, it is not limited to application developers/suppliers
> only. According to my experience, Microsoft itself is incapable of
> keeping up with its most welcome Guidelines/Principles for Safe
> Computing in W2K and WXP environments.
>
> An attempt to install Microsoft Office XP Professional on Microsoft
> Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 platform fails for all limited
> privileges user accounts. Sic!
>
> To my knowledge, both SW s are still "supported" and to my knowledge
> Microsoft claims they are compatible and should therefore peacefully
> co-exist.
>
> Unluckily, that is not the case.
>
> Windows Installer will attempt to finish the installation for the
> limited privileges user accounts over and over, every time the limited
> privileges user attempts to launch ANY Microsoft Office XP
> Professional application. Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft
> Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft PowerPoint and possibly Microsoft
> Publisher will never install successfully. (After having experienced
> this most unexpected and serious issue with all other Microsoft Office
> XP Professional components, did no longer want to try whether the same
> happens with Microsoft Publisher as well.)

AFAIK, this is common and not new to WinXP. I encounter the problem with Windows 2000
(sp4) and Office 2000. I always install office as admin. Then, for each new user on a
workstation, I need to give admin rights, login as that user and launch Office (usually Word)
for the installation to finish. Office still requires the install medium, does its things then
launches. After that, I am able to remove admin rights for the user who then runs as 'user'
without any problem.

It's really annoying here because my workstations are shared between several people, each
with their own login so I need to repeat tjhat tedious operation over and over...

--
Laurent