[Dshield] Admin rights on XP Home (was Re: WMF "wait for us")

Laurent Saplairoles lsaplai at megassistance.com
Tue Jan 10 19:56:43 GMT 2006

On 9 Jan 2006 at 8:54, Stephane Grobety wrote:

> The problem is that some objects are protected by ACLs that exclude
> non-administrators. Common culprits are CD protection software
> frequently included in CD games. In order to work, they must open the
> CD/DVD drive in raw mode an that in an operation limited to
> administrators. That's just an example, of course, there is many
> things that could lead a program to require administrator access (if
> only during installation).
>
> Another problem is that supporting a home user can be a really
> tedious and having him run under an administrator account is tempting:
> it drastically reduces the number of time the user will require
> assistance.
>
> And I'm afraid that the above reasons combined means that home users
> running as administrators have still a long time to go...

Ojn the computers that I control directly, people run as simple Users. On home systems that I
support, well, it's their problem: I explain the risks of running as Admin 24/7 but most people
can't be bothered to switch users when they want to make an install.

I work on my computers as Power User. This lets me do 95% of what I need to do, including
installing and removing most software with limited risks. For some programs requiring Admin
privileges, using Right Click then "Run as..." does just what I want. A bit like sudo under
Linux. Then, sometimes, I need to switch to my admin profile to do more "in depth" work.

Unfortunately, WinXP GUI does not really support Power User so my privileges often appear
as "unknown" in some of the GUI.
--
Laurent