[Dshield] My Dream ISP (was: public goals)

Christensen, Eric CHRISTENSENE at MAIL.ECU.EDU
Sun Jan 15 14:27:13 GMT 2006

I agree.  I'm more focused on the non-mobile home and business user.  Mobile
users could have some kind of a GPS to show their location which could then
be cross-referenced to the local PSAP.  What do you do when you don't have
GPS access???  Not a clue.

Thanks,
Eric Christensen
Network Analyst
ECU Police Department

EMERGENCY DIAL 911
(252)328-1155 - Office
(252)328-6787 - 911 Communications

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces at lists.dshield.org [mailto:list-bounces at lists.dshield.org]
On Behalf Of Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sent: Sunday, 15 January, 2006 05:41
To: General DShield Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Dshield] My Dream ISP (was: public goals)

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:09:51 EST, "Christensen, Eric" said:

> system works and they are the ones that get hurt.  It is a very simple
> system that is needed to all VoIP users to be able to dial 911

In fact, the system to get VoIP to support E911 is anything *but* simple.

Consider Peter Dambier's comment on the NANOG mailing list:

  "Skype and public domain telefones dont know about location, nor will they
ever
  learn.

  The only place where somebody could catch a 911 call is at a sip server.

  The sip server does not know about the INAIC in Newyork connecting me via
  tunnel from Germany. If they traced me they would find my IPv6 tunnel
endpoint
  in Japan.

  Where to connect me? The Newyork police probably does not speak German. In
  Germany emergency calls are 110 not 911. If they connected me to Tokio
police,
  they dont speak german either."

OK.. Got that?  He's in Germany, tunneled via Japan, with a NYC provider..

If I take my laptop on the road, and make a Skype call from a hotel in
San Francisco, routed over a VPN back to my office, what time zone do you
land the E911 info in? The VPN server at my office? That's 3,000 miles
wrong.
My laptop? It's got a 10/8 NAT address, and has no idea where it is.  The
hotel's
IP address? Nice try - my laptop doesn't know its external IP or street
address,
and the hotel's NAT box doesn't know I'm doing VoIP because it's over a
VPN...

Repeat - but now I'm in seat 34E on an Airbus somewhere between Dulles and
SFO,
running VoIP over a modem hooked into the Skyphone service. (If I'm using it
download something urgent, and need to make a quick phone call to check
something, a second VoIP network connection may be more time-effective than
hanging up the download, calling, then resuming the download).  Remember -
you're
required to provide E911 even if there's no reasonable expectation you'll
use it..

Or my laptop is on a truck somewhere in Wyoming, well outside cell phone
service
area, but I have a satellite uplink...

(And yes, these are all *real* usage situations I've seen people do - and
the "100% coverage" requirement means these are supposed to have E911....)

Doing E911 for the average non-mobile residential user that you have a
street
address for billing purposes isn't that hard. The corner cases are
*impossible*.