[Dshield] My Dream ISP (was: public goals)

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at sans.org
Sun Jan 15 17:25:06 GMT 2006

Christensen, Eric wrote:

>I agree.  I'm more focused on the non-mobile home and business user.  Mobile
>users could have some kind of a GPS to show their location which could then
>be cross-referenced to the local PSAP.  What do you do when you don't have
>GPS access???  Not a clue.

I do have a small USB GPS receiver and never manage to get a signal
inside a building :-(. Even my car GPS receiver and my handheld hiking
GPS receiver (older model) hardly ever work inside.

I think the only way to get a location on a mobil device would be a cell
phone receiver (e.g. like they do for some network clocks). Maybe some
system could be deviced that can locate devices using signals from cell
phone towers "for free". But whatever you do, short of GPS a whole new
infrastructure is required and that may defeat the #1 advantage of VoIP:
Cost.

I like the "label solution" best: Tell VoIP customers in very clear
language that 911 will not work. If you "dial" 911 on your Microwave key
pad, you don't expect emergency services to respond. Same thing for
VoIP: Its not a phone. Even if it looks (and smalls) like one. You are
not going to call EMS via Instant Messaging and E-Mail any time soon.

--
---------
Johannes Ullrich                        jullrich at sans.org
http://isc.sans.org