Tom dshield at oitc.com
Sun Jan 15 20:03:13 GMT 2006

At 5:40 AM -0500 1/15/06, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:35:46 EST, Tom said:
>>  1) ISPs in the far east (Korea etc) provide residential dsl to
>>  customers at ~20Mbps and greater at the price point many in the US
>>  pay for "dumbed down dsl" at 128Kbps and that residential customers
>>  in France get 10Mbps.
>
>Note that the Korean situation is worthy of looking at more closely.
>A large part of the heavy buildout of true high-speed connectivity there
>is because the government made it a priority.  Unfortunately, there wasn't
>any corresponding mandate to do things securely.  As a result, there's
>high bandwidth to everyplace, but:
>
>a) The end users aren't any more clued about patching and not clicking on
>dancing hamsters than they are in the US.
>
>b) The ISPs have even less security clue than their US counterparts.
>
>c) There's finally (the last year or so) something resembling a CERT in Korea.
>Unfortunately, they are overwhelmed, so it sometimes requires knowing the
>secret handshake to get anything to happen. To be fair, there's some *very*
>competent and hard-working people there, but they're outnumbered by odds
>of 50 million to 10 or so....
>
>So if you've ever wondered why you see so many probe packets from there....

I totally agree but that wasn't my point nor worry.

I was responding to the assertion that ISP's can't afford to worry
about security in North America because they were to poor to afford
it. An assertion that I think is hogwash.

Tom

--

Tom Shaw - Chief Engineer, OITC
<tshaw at oitc.com>, http://www.oitc.com/