Anonymous Squirrel anonymous.squirrel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:55:52 GMT 2006

I haven't seen this typical scenario discussed: A residential connection to
a home network, with a few "always on" computers, and a few visitors that
appear for a few weeks and drop off the network (say college kids home for
holidays).  A problem pops up and the residential connection.

Questions:

1) Does the ISP blacklist the entire connection, even if the problem
computer is no longer at the residence?

2) Do *all* computers at that connection have to be checked by a certified
checker (e.g. Geeks on Call)?  How does the ISP know how many should be
cleaned?  If one is cleaned, are all deemed cleaned?  (for bonus points,
after a residential user pays to have several computers checked, and all are
found to be clean, how long does the ISP keep the customer?)

3) How does the ISP's contracted checker deal with non-standard machines,
say a custom built OS that the employees may not have a prayer of
understanding?  Or does the ISP only allow certain machines in certain
configurations on their network, thereby solidifying the Microsoft monopoly
in the name of simplicity? (FWIW, Cox acts dumb when I call with a
connection problem and tell them I don't have a "Start" button.  They refuse
to provide any support unless I boot into Windoze).

4) How does the resident shield confidential information from the checkers?
Think carefully before answering this one.  Anyone on this list llikely
could shield it without any problems, but the average user probably could
not.

Cheers.