[Dshield] blocking the DSL hacker

Mel forum at dshield.org
Sat Jan 21 21:47:40 GMT 2006

My friends Earthlink DSL account has become useless lately.
 As soon as the computer is turned on a constant barrage begins coming from diverse machines on the Verizon network.(70.20.x.x)
 Most attempts seem to be netBIOS in nature, but it isn't very long, maybe as short as ten minutes, until my friends machine is full of viruses and begins acting very unstable.
 We tried to get to the AVG website to update the anti-virus but always get infected before we could wend our way to the AVG site in Germany.
 We have a linksys router on hand but don't know anything about putting it to use. I remember reading on the Dshield forum that a router would be helpful in stopping intrusions. We are using a Netopia modem.
 Can someone please point us in the right direction. Thanks many many in advance.
                                      Mel.

This message was sent via the web forum at
http://forum.dshield.org