[Dshield] blocking the DSL hacker

Tom dshield at oitc.com
Sat Jan 21 22:33:56 GMT 2006

Mel,

Download and burn to CD a firewall (BlackICE or whatever), firefox
and AVG updates. Take to your friend's and do a clean OS install,
then install the firewall (close all ports incoming), firefox (use
this browser rather than IE) and AV updates.

Open the manual for the lynksys and read it. It will instruct you on
connecting your machine to it via ethernet and then using your
browser (if required) to complete the setup. Its probably a NAT
router so that means you have "internal" addresses such as 10.0.0.1
and external address which is provided by your ISP via your Netopia
modem (as a note I am not familiar with all the Netopias but you
might also have NAT capability there also so check the manual)

After that you should be good to go.

Tom