[Dshield] blocking the DSL hacke

Vinod Kumar vinu at hiwaay.net
Sat Jan 21 23:22:28 GMT 2006

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Mel wrote:

> My friends Earthlink DSL account has become useless lately.
>  As soon as the computer is turned on a constant barrage begins coming from diverse machines on the Verizon network.(70.20.x.x)
>  Most attempts seem to be netBIOS in nature, but it isn't very long, maybe as short as ten minutes, until my friends machine is full of viruses and begins acting very unstable.
>  We tried to get to the AVG website to update the anti-virus but always get infected before we could wend our way to the AVG site in Germany.
>  We have a linksys router on hand but don't know anything about putting it to use. I remember reading on the Dshield forum that a router would be helpful in stopping intrusions. We are using a Netopia modem.
>  Can someone please point us in the right direction. Thanks many many in advance.
>                                       Mel.

First and perhaps easiest thing to do is to burn a copy of avg off of a
different computer perhaps yours and run it with out plugging into the
internet.

Your friend is most likely infested with all kinds of nasty spyware and
worms etc.

Run AVG, then get online, run AVG again after getting all the latest
updates.

Run spybot Search and Destroy, I believe Microsoft has a spyware removal
program.

The netgear is most likely not going to help, because your attacks are
coming in from your own infections.