[Dshield] blocking the DSL hacker

Scott Hollingsworth forum at dshield.org
Mon Jan 23 17:34:15 GMT 2006

If you are using Windows XP, I strongly suggest following the steps in the whitepaper "Windows XP: Surviving the First Day" by Johannes Ullrich brought to you courtesy SANS and the ISC. Type in the following: http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/windows/1298.php to view it.

If you are using another Windows version, it is still possible, but the built-in firewall is not there.

I maintain a library of Windows patches, AV software, Firewall software, anti-spyware, updates, alternate browser, alternate e-mail, JVM, Quicktime, Macromedia players, etc. I put them on CDs to help support friends and family. This allows me to prepare a computer for going on the 'net before going on the 'net. Plus some are still saddled with dial-up and I don't want to spend 2 days waiting for essential updates to download.
This message was sent via the web forum at
http://forum.dshield.org