[Dshield] blocking the DSL hacker

Craig craig at reswob.net
Mon Jan 23 18:00:01 GMT 2006

I've used smoothwall for about two years as well, and it's great.
(heck, I had it running on my P100 with 64 MB RAM for a while.  Now it's
on a PII with 128 MB RAM).  Smoothwall (Express is the free version) and
IPCop both have two great things going for them.  1/  Great forums where
you can get help from both other users and from the product support
staff and 2/ useful and stable add-ons.

For example, I've loaded an advanced firewall GUI, and advanced proxy
GUI and a URLFilter.  These have allowed my the granularity of
controlling the iptables and squid (which is what is running underneath)
without actually directly editing the files.

If you desire, you CAN actually edit the files underneath.  For example,
if you like, you can add your own Snort rules.

Bottom line, great piece of work, easy to install and maintain.

Craig L. Bowser
VOIP Security Engineer
CISSP
SANS GSEC (Gold)
SRA International, Inc.
703-652-6912
craig.bowser1 at us.army.mil
Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists.. -
John Kenneth Galbraith