[Dshield] Question about spam sent to list address

Tom dshield at oitc.com
Fri Mar 3 13:36:17 GMT 2006

At 7:48 AM -0500 3/3/06, Johannes B. Ullrich wrote:
>Well, I just returned from SANS Orlando (yes, there was some free beer).

Glad you enjoyed some brew ;-)

>Makes you wonder if this e-mail thing is actually worth all the trouble.

Johannes,

Yes, because if everyone moved to IM then spim would increase and be
as bad or worse than spam is today.  What it does tell me that the
IETF needs to get off their tush and instead of trying to patch the
mail standards with non working "protections" like SPF, they need to
define a safe and secure replacement that we all can migrate to so
that this will be an eventual thing of the past.

As for your comment about spamcop, I am very surprised as Julian has
always been helpful and proactive with me whenever I identified a
problematic issue. I would contact him if I were you so that he can
set his system to reject all mistaken submissions - effectively
whitelisting dshield & sans.

Tom
--

Tom Shaw - Chief Engineer, OITC