[Dshield] Exchange Open Relay

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Fri Mar 3 18:53:05 GMT 2006

** Reply to message from Christophe Rome <asrgchr at yahoo.com> on Fri, 3 Mar 2006
02:30:19 -0800 (PST)

> I would like to know the weight of this article.
> Should I really care and start crafting an advice to
> my users telling them we need to stop sending
> out-of-offices to the outside (yes, we debated on this
> before and they really hold on to it)

The advice I have seen given to others is to not use out-of-office replies
except internally.  From my perspective if the person that has customer
contacts is on vacation someone else should be monitoring their email.

> and that we need to stop bouncing undeliverables?

The best thing to do is reject the bad email while in the SMTP transaction.
Accepting an email then creating a bounce message to the FROM address is bad
news especially with spam and viruses.