[Dshield] Question about spam sent to list address

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Fri Mar 3 19:46:58 GMT 2006

** Reply to message from Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu on Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:23:14
-0500

> Feel free to suggest a protocol *and a method of deploying it* that avoids
> the bootstrapping costs I've outlined above.

You can not eliminate all of the bootstrapping but I think you can reduce it a
lot.

If the servers are replaced and only allow accept SMTP email from their own
customers there would not be the large disruption for the users and they could
replace the client software over a longer period of time.  Since there are many
fewer servers than clients it should not take long to replace the servers thus
eliminating the parallel SMTP traffic between the servers which sould give
considerable benefits in a shorter time frame.