[Dshield] Exchange Open Relay

Tom dshield at oitc.com
Sat Mar 4 11:55:13 GMT 2006

At 12:04 PM -0800 3/3/06, DigitalNation wrote:
>Cristophe,
>
>We too, are very uneasy about this issue. After reading the SPAMCOP info on
>auto-generated messages, we are very unsure about the mentality of this
>issue. Out-of-office replies are now considered a ubiquitous part of email
>services. If you stop offering this to your email services clients they may
>just move to a provider who will offer it.

Well, I will say that that OOP/vacation notices are OK for in office
(though a shared calendar is probably more appropriate) but to send
them publicly is a security risk. There have been cases \where these
notices (especially ones sent to lists) have been used to target
residences for theft and other illegal activities.

Tom
--

Tom Shaw - Chief Engineer, OITC
<tshaw at oitc.com>, http://www.oitc.com/