[Dshield] Exchange Open Relay

Abuse abuse at what4now.com
Sun Mar 5 02:44:49 GMT 2006

** Reply to message from "David Taylor" <ltr at isc.upenn.edu> on Sat, 4 Mar 2006
15:18:10 -0500

> Out-of-office should only be used internally within a company.  If you
> can not guarantee to not spam anyone using out-of-office then do not use it
> external sources.  If you can not guarantee to not send an out-of-office
> message to a mailing list then do not use it to external sources.
>

> I don't think there is a lot you can 'guarantee' on anything nowadays...

Right!  That is why I think that spamcop is correct in listing spam sent via
out-of-office messages.  Also why I think out-of-office messages should only be
used internally within a company.

> I don't agree with OoO messages being only used internally.  If I go on
> vacation I need to let people know that I am Out of the Office.  Why is this
> only supposed to be used for internal situations?  I don't understand that.
> How can you get by this?  I have no idea.  If I go on vacation I do NOT want
> other people on my team to access and mange my email while I am gone.  I do,
> however, want to let people know that I am out of the office if they send me
> an email.

I do not understand why you would object to some one monitoring your email
while you are on vacation.  So what good does it do to have a customer get an
out-of-office message when they want to do business with your company while you
are on vacation?

> I'm really pissed off at SPAMCOP for accepting out of office responses as
> SPAM.  I think they are going a bit too far with this.

Why do you think I like to get out-of-office spam sent to me?  I get enough
spam sent directly to me without someone else sending me more spam via an
out-of-office message.