[Dshield] Spam Email - Threats and Extortion

Jeffrey.Stebelton at bisys.com Jeffrey.Stebelton at bisys.com
Thu Apr 19 18:32:14 GMT 2007

I'd contact my legal department and my local office of the FBI, ASAP. I
think that falls under Title 18, 1030 B "by conduct described in clause
(i), (ii) or (iii) of subparagraph (A), caused (or, in the case of an
attempted offense), would, if completed, have caused) -

(iii) physical injury to any person;

But I'm not a lawyer, but still, I'd treat that very seriously.

Jeff Stebelton, GCIA GCIH CEH ESSE
Manager, Network Security
BISYS

             "Ackley, Alex"
             <aackley at epmgpc.c
             Sent by:                  <list at lists.dshield.org>
             list-bounces at list                                          cc
             s.dshield.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Dshield] Spam Email - Threats and
             04/19/2007 12:48          Extortion
             PM

             Please respond to
              General DShield
              Discussion List
             <list at lists.dshie
                  ld.org>

We've recently begun seeing a few emails come across that I sure hope
are spam.  They basically report that the sender has been contracted to
perform bodily harm/kill the recipient and has been following them for a
period of time.  If they do not give X dollars to a location to be named
later, they'll carry out the threat.  The emails look like the usual
spam, in that they have a couple of misspelled words, capitalization and
grammar problems.  But, they don't exhibit the usual spam features in
the headers.  They come from a single address that is easily tracked
down instead of through a series of smtp servers and directly address
the end user.

I can provide the actual text and some email headers if folks want to
see.

But has anyone else seen anything like this recently or heard of this?

Thanks,

Alex Ackley

Systems Administrator

EPMG, PC

SANS 2007 March 29 - April 6 in San Diego, CA offers 52 Courses
taught by our top rated instructors plus a huge vendor tools expo.
Register Today! http://www.sans.org/info/2501 (BROCHURECODE: ISC)

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY

contain confidential or privileged information. No representation is made
on its accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this
electronic message.  Certain assumptions may have been made in the
preparation of this material as of this date, and are subject to change
without notice.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and
any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited.

Please reply to the sender and destroy all copies of this message and any
attachments from your system.