[Dshield] Spam Email - Threats and Extortion

Bryan Hill bhill at capitaltitlegroup.com
Thu Apr 19 18:50:20 GMT 2007

Please provide the text.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces at lists.dshield.org
[mailto:list-bounces at lists.dshield.org] On Behalf Of Ackley, Alex
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:49 AM
To: list at lists.dshield.org
Subject: [Dshield] Spam Email - Threats and Extortion

We've recently begun seeing a few emails come across that I sure hope
are spam.  They basically report that the sender has been contracted to
perform bodily harm/kill the recipient and has been following them for a
period of time.  If they do not give X dollars to a location to be named
later, they'll carry out the threat.  The emails look like the usual
spam, in that they have a couple of misspelled words, capitalization and
grammar problems.  But, they don't exhibit the usual spam features in
the headers.  They come from a single address that is easily tracked
down instead of through a series of smtp servers and directly address
the end user.

I can provide the actual text and some email headers if folks want to
see.

But has anyone else seen anything like this recently or heard of this?

Thanks,

Alex Ackley

Systems Administrator

EPMG, PC

SANS 2007 March 29 - April 6 in San Diego, CA offers 52 Courses
taught by our top rated instructors plus a huge vendor tools expo.
Register Today! http://www.sans.org/info/2501 (BROCHURECODE: ISC)

This information may be legally privileged and/or is confidential, and is intended for the use of the addressee named above.  Any other use is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify me and destroy the communication.  Any wrongful interception of this transmission is  prohibited and punishable under federal law.