[Dshield] PDF Spam Wave

M Cook dshieldlists at versateam.com
Fri Aug 10 00:46:30 GMT 2007

jayjwa wrote:
 > Two replies, since they are short and on the same topic I've placed
 > both here.

It may be that you are thinking that a bounce message is always
generated when there is a failure. This is true with mail servers that
are properly configured and senders that are authenticated. But consider
where the bounce is generated. If mail server A tries to send to mail
server B, but mail server B in the SMTP protocol says "Permanent
failure", mail server A is then responsible for generating the bounce
message. If instead mail server B accepts the mail and later decides
that it is not deliverable, server B is responsible for sending the
bounce message. The RFC's make it clear that this latter case is to be
the exception rather than the rule. That is, the preferred behavior is
for server B to signal a permanent failure rather than accept the
message, leaving server A to handle the problem. In the case where
server A is the spammer (using a compromised residential computer on a
dynamic IP address to imitate a real SMTP server) and server B is the
innocent recipient, when server B gives the 5nn permanent failure,
server A (the spammer), which would ordinarily be responsible for
sending the bounce, doesn't bother; it just goes on to try to send the
next spam message.  You can see which of these two cases generates the
backscatter. Yes, the RFC does specify exceptions, but we're not talking
about exceptions, we're talking about mail servers that accept tens of
thousands of spam messages and then generate tens of thousands of
bounces. If they would "not accept" those messages, there would be no
bounce backscatter.

Again, to summarize: most of the spam I have seen fits a specific
pattern: it is generated on residential or dynamic IP addresses from
compromised machines, connecting directly to the MX server of record.
That MX server in most cases should be able to tell whether or not the
recipient addressee is valid. If it rejects (5nn) the message in the
middle of the SMTP dialog, there won't be a bounce message. There are
exceptions, but I don't think that's what we are talking about primarily.

I hope that clarifies where I'm coming from. This is the pattern I've
been seeing for at least five years (though volumes have gone up each
year) so it is not something new. If you are trying to bring something
else to our attention, I apologize for missing it, and will try to be
more receptive if you care to clarify.