[Dshield] The demise of the hub

Johannes B. Ullrich jullrich at sans.org
Fri Aug 10 17:04:40 GMT 2007

> Netoptics sells 10/100 network taps starting around $400.
> http://www.netoptics.com/
> Slightly more than the hub ;) but worth it.

Its about 10 x the price of a hub :-( . But I agree that they got some
nice low end taps.

Has anybody played with home made taps ? They are simple to make for
10/100.

The main problem I have with tabs (aside form the price) is that you
need two network cards. Frequently I find myself off-site with a laptop
and only one network card. So you need to carry a second network
card/switch or get a more expensive tab.

--
Johannes Ullrich, SANS Institute, (www.sans.org)

SANS Network Security 2007 in Las Vegas September 22-30. 39 courses,
SANS top instructors.  http://www.sans.org/info/9346