[Dshield] The demise of the hub

Rick Wanner Rick.Wanner at sasktel.sk.ca
Fri Aug 10 20:53:15 GMT 2007

We use the Netoptics aggregating taps and they work wonderfully, both for
fibre and copper.

The problem with taps is that you can't inject traffic.  Sometimes you
just need a hub. (-8

Rick Wanner, B.Sc., I.S.P.
Corporate Security
Sasktel
Tel: 306-777-4832  Cell: 306-533-1812
Email: Rick.Wanner at sasktel.sk.ca
Text Messaging: 3065331812 at pcs.sasktelmobility.com

"Larry Craddock" <l_craddock at netride.net>
Sent by: list-bounces at lists.dshield.org
08/10/2007 02:07 PM
Please respond to
General DShield Discussion List <list at lists.dshield.org>

<list at lists.dshield.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Dshield] The demise of the hub

                                 I use NetOptics TAPs but I'm also not
wild about having to monitor it with 2 NICs. I use the $95 4 port NICs
from routerboard ... they make it a little easier but doesn't help the
offsite / laptop scenario.. Also NetOptics has aggregators that let you
monitor bi-directional traffic with one NIC but they're even more costly
than the taps. I'll probably stick with taps and 4 port NICs.

Larry Craddock