[Dshield] Extreme increase in spam attempts... any one elseseeing similar event?

Tony Earnshaw tonni at hetnet.nl
Sat Aug 18 19:13:39 GMT 2007

Tomas L. Byrnes skrev, on 18-08-2007 19:42:

> You're missing the most basic reason for the "backscatter problem". The
> default configuration for exchange servers creates it, you couldn't
> disable it until Exchange 2003, and MS doesn't message changing config
> to prevent it in any of their best practices or courses.
>
> The average IT staffer is overworked, underpaid, and only knows what MS
> and CISCO taught him in training, if they even got that.
>
> Don't blame them for doing their job to the best of their ability with
> the information they have been given.
>
> The blame rests with the vendors and oss projects that create systems
> that are insecure by default, and require an MS in computer science to
> understand and properly operate.
>
> The REAL blame rests with the criminals who abuse other's resources fro
> their own financial gain. They're not hackers, they're CROOKS.

There speaks/writes a bitter man. I'm a Postfix (Unix/Linux) mailadmin;
my  (always latest stable) Postfix MTAs consequently refuse mail for
non-existent users and do much anti-UCE stuff in addition. We refuse
almost as much shoot stuff as we accept genuine stuff.

I've always wondered why so many Postfix sites are there (from the
Postfix mailing list) simply as front ends for Microsoft Exchange MTAs.
Well, now I have a better understanding.

Best,

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw