[Dshield] Extreme increase in spam attempts... any one elseseeing similar event?

Tom dshield at oitc.com
Sun Aug 19 21:23:37 GMT 2007

At 4:47 PM -0400 8/19/07, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:13:39 +0200, Tony Earnshaw said:
>
>>  I've always wondered why so many Postfix sites are there (from the
>>  Postfix mailing list) simply as front ends for Microsoft Exchange MTAs.
>>  Well, now I have a better understanding.
>
>If Postfix did all the other "cool things" that Exchange claims to do well,
>like shared calendars and "Joe would like to recall the message", they'd
>probably not be just front-ends.
>
>The problem is that for all the flames Exchange takes from the security
>community, it *does* provide a lot of features that large sites often want to
>use, and those features are hard to find on other enterprise-ready open-source
>projects.
>
>Heck, we've got about 3,500 Exchange users ourselves, precisely for that
>reason.

And if you didn't use Outlook you wouldn't be able to get all those
"features" either since they require proprietary interfaces and
protocols in both the client and server.  Maybe if the interfaces and
protocols weren't held so close to the chest..... Ah but that would
run the risk of Microsoft loosing market share...

Tom