[Dshield] Extreme increase in spam attempts... any one elseseeing similar event?

Tony Earnshaw tonni at hetnet.nl
Mon Aug 20 09:13:38 GMT 2007

Tom skrev, on 19-08-2007 23:23:

>> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:13:39 +0200, Tony Earnshaw said:
>>
>>>  I've always wondered why so many Postfix sites are there (from the
>>>  Postfix mailing list) simply as front ends for Microsoft Exchange MTAs.
>>>  Well, now I have a better understanding.
>> If Postfix did all the other "cool things" that Exchange claims to do well,
>> like shared calendars and "Joe would like to recall the message", they'd
>> probably not be just front-ends.
>>
>> The problem is that for all the flames Exchange takes from the security
>> community, it *does* provide a lot of features that large sites often want to
>> use, and those features are hard to find on other enterprise-ready open-source
>> projects.
>>
>> Heck, we've got about 3,500 Exchange users ourselves, precisely for that
>> reason.
>
> And if you didn't use Outlook you wouldn't be able to get all those
> "features" either since they require proprietary interfaces and
> protocols in both the client and server.  Maybe if the interfaces and
> protocols weren't held so close to the chest..... Ah but that would
> run the risk of Microsoft loosing market share...

Desknow (http://www.desknow.com/) will do everything that Exchange can
do in the way of collaboration - and more. There's an Outlook front end
for it and it can be used with Postfix instead of its proprietary MTA.
Uses a MySQL database backend for users; shame, it should be using LDAP.

It's not strictly freeware (there *is* a freeware version, but it has
limited capabilities), though the licenses cost a fraction of Exchange
licenses.

I haven't looked at Zimbra, it's dearer and is supposed to do the same.
It does have LDAP as a DB backend.

Both can be installed on clean CentOS5 (freeware) or RHL5 (licenses
necessary) installs.

Not enough people are looking around ...

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl