[Dshield] Extreme increase in spam attempts... any one elseseeing similar event?

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Wed Aug 22 17:44:33 GMT 2007

1: Inertia. Users use their exchange mailboxes as their archives. So you
have to be able to migrate ALL the existing data, and contacts, and
appointments.

2: Staffing: It is easy to find someone certified and qualified to
manage an MS platform, Linux/Unix sysadmins are rarer, and much more
expensive.

3: Risk: The vast majority of business want IT to be seen and not heard.
IT staffers' main job is to not screw up. Exchange is a known quantity,
and no-one ever got fired for buying Microsoft (or IBM, or Cisco). An IT
director who pitches the alternatives runs the risk of losing their
career if it doesn't work, and getting the CFO to approve it is an
uphill battle. If Exchange fails, well "everyone does it", and you can
blame MS.

These sorts of threads always demonstrate the complete lack of
understanding of the bulk of the marketplace that the OSS community has.
Until the l33t H at x0rz start to understand what motivates the vast
majority of people, and what their daily life is like, mediocrities like
M$ and IBM, who understand how to sell, will continue to dominate.

P.S. Sent via Exchange from Outlook, because of item 1. What I have
works, and I have limited time, most of which I spend working on new
products or for clients.