[Dshield] open-source Exchange substitute

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Aug 22 20:01:39 GMT 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 21:17:11 +0200, Tony Earnshaw said:
> >> The problem is that for all the flames Exchange takes from the security
> >> community, it *does* provide a lot of features that large sites often want to
> >> use, and those features are hard to find on other enterprise-ready open-source
> >> projects.
>
> You forgot Desknow http://www.desknow.com/
>
> You ain't trying things out for yourself: *DO SO* before asking

Wake me up when you find one that has *this* feature:

"Close enough to a totally transparent zero downtime migration, with no
retraining, documentation, or other support issues, to make it worth our
time to move 3,000 people who in general don't see why they need to be
moved off working software, and the people who would be doing the move
have other higher priority things to do than replace something that mostly
works".

Or imagine this:  You're sitting across the table from the CIO, the CFO, and
the CEO, and they all want you to explain why you want to replace the software
package they use to discuss how to run the $900-mil-a-year company, when *they*
know you have more pressing things that need doing.  Oh, and they are going to
be *really* grumpy if this new software screws up and they mis-schedule their
meeting with the state Governor.

Go ahead - make the sale. No pressure. ;)

(And yes - "don't let the C-levels miss their appointments with the Governor"
*is* an actual *real* business requirement here, complete with their own
entries on our "critical dates" scheduling calendar every year).