[Dshield] ASSP

Andrew Willy andrewwilly at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 23:15:39 GMT 2007

We permit, inbound and outbound, about 1600 messages a day.  Our max number
of simulatenous SMTP connections was 36 in the last 6 months. Out of 786,000
SMTP connections opened to our proxy in the same six months, 284,700
messages were processed. A "processed" message amounts to a message that
gets past the grey listing.  107,000 of those processed messages were
filtered by RBL/URIBL/sender validation/penalty boxing, leaving us with
about 176,000 messages passed out of the original 786,000 connections. I
think that comes to %22 of SMTP connections to our system result in e-mail
being delivered to a user.

The system runs on a VMWare virtual machine (host is dual core
3Ghz/4GB/64bitOS with multiple guests).  Guest is Windows 2003 allotted 512
MB RAM.  Runs like a thoroughbred at our low volume, the guest average
utilization is less than %1.

Thanks,

Andrew