[Dshield] Known instances of malware using printers as an attack vector?

ed.truitt at etee2k.net ed.truitt at etee2k.net
Tue Feb 27 19:21:18 GMT 2007

I have been asked to look into whether our network printers present a
level of risk to the network that is higher than has been the case in
previous years.  In order to answer that question, I was wondering if
anyone has solid evidence of the following:

* Malware (of whatever type) that actually attacks printers, or uses a
vulnerability found on a network printer to propogate

* An increase in vendor disclosures of vulnerabilities in their
printing products, and specifically an increase in the number of
security fixes (patches) issued for printer-related vulnerabilities

TIA for any assistance you can provide.

~Ed T.