[Dshield] 0wnlng Windows machines

Tony Earnshaw tonni at hetnet.nl
Wed Feb 28 03:27:42 GMT 2007

Fuller, Kevin R. wrote, on 27. feb 2007 17:03:

> I do Web Security testing for my agency and ran into the same problem.
> It has to do with self-signed certificates and lack of trust.  It seems
> IE7 chokes on non-public certificates and generates the certificate
> error.   I haven't researched the fix yet.

It has to do with the certs stuffed into the repository delivered with
each Windows installed host. Importing the foreign .crt into the local
repository relieves the symptoms.

BTW there's a difference between self-signed and non-root CA-signed certs.

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl