[Dshield] Hidden Process

Castle, Shane scastle at co.boulder.co.us
Wed Jan 17 19:43:51 GMT 2007

You've checked %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts ?  Sounds like a
hosts file hijack to me, but if the DNS servers have been redirected
that would explain it as well.  Don't forget other tools: Process
Explorer, HiJackThis, Ad-Aware, etc - there several lists that can be
found for free/low cost cleaning tools.  Some tools won't run properly
unless you disable system restore, and maybe even run in safe mode.

If you are wanting to exercise your forensics skills, then by all means,
do your best to clean it up without reinstalling, but if you are
interested in saving time and you don't have any irretreivable data on
the disk, reformat and reinstall instead - it's generally a lot quicker.

--
Shane Castle